Year-End Reflections


As the year draws to a close, and we reflect on our accomplishments to clarify our vision for the year ahead and set new goals, it's tempting to focus on the gap between where we are and where we want to be, especially if the past year didn't go quite as we had planned. 

I had planned to finish another book this year then try to find a good home for it. 

I feel a wave of sadness as I write that sentence. Last February, we came home from a two-week vacation to find our new house flooded with 119,000 gallons of water from a broken pipe under the kitchen sink. We then spent half the year living in a hotel during the restoration. Sure, it was nice to redecorate and get some new stuff, and we met a lot of wonderful people along the way. But, it definitely wasn't the way I had hoped to kick off the New Year. 

I did eventually finish the manuscript I was working on like I had planned, but I didn't close the book deal with that agent I was working with, although I got really close this time. 

Jack Canfield, author of Chicken Soup for the Soul series and a success coach says, "N
o matter how “bad” you believe this year has been, I guarantee it has been better than you think. And no matter how much (or little) you think you’ve accomplished in the past twelve months, I guarantee you’ve achieved more than you know!" 

Canfield goes on to list several accomplishments to take stock in during your year-end evaluation process that I hadn't considered:

·       Successfully dealt with an unexpected challenge
·       Experienced pure joy
·       Lifted someone else up
·       Cleaned up a “mess” in your life
·       Dared to dream big
·       Felt deep peace and contentment
·       Made the world just a little bit better in some way 
     
"By taking stock of these moments, you remind yourself that THIS is the kind of person you are -- and that these are the experiences you want MORE of in your life!"  - Jack Canfield


Canfield's words flipped my glass from half empty to half-full. I suddenly realized just how much I have accomplished this past year. And, instead of time wasted, I see growth.

­

Wishing you a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, & Happy New Year!